Saturday 5 May 2012

Bread Revolution - Soda Bread

Last weekend as well as making the bagels on Saturday I fancied giving the soda bread in the book a go on Sunday morning. Soda bread is delicious and, having tried my hand at Dorie's bread at least four times now since the original baking, I feel like a bit of a pro.

The soda bread in Bread Revolution is a brown loaf and quite a bit different from Dorie's soda bread, to start with it doesn't have any buttermilk in it. The mix, however, is just as simple; flour, milk, bicarbonate of soda, salt and red wine vinegar and a quick mix and you're all sorted. The book states that it looks like porridge and that was a really good description of the dough, very wet and not at all attractive!!

I made half of the mixture (as ever!) and it produced a nice small loaf which we had for lunch with cheese and salad. I didn't smooth the top before baking and I probably should have done to make it a bit prettier but it certainly didn't affect the taste. My daughter wasn't keen but she's turning into a fusspot at the moment. I loved it and so did my husband. Another one to add to the list!

I only took one photograph I'm afraid but you'll have to take my word for it, it was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment